Window seats have always been a charming addition to any home, providing a cozy nook to relax, read a book, or simply enjoy the view. IKEA, the Swedish furniture giant known for its affordable and stylish designs, offers a multitude of options to transform your windows into delightful seating areas. In this article, we will explore seven creative IKEA window seat hacks that will help you maximize space, add functionality, and infuse your home with a touch of personal style.
- The Kallax Window Bench: The Kallax shelving unit from IKEA is a versatile piece that can be transformed into a beautiful window seat. By placing two or more Kallax units horizontally and topping them with a comfortable cushion, you can create a functional and stylish seating area. The cubbyholes of the unit can be utilized for storage baskets, keeping your space organized and clutter-free.
- The Expedit Reading Nook: If you have an old Expedit shelf (now known as Kallax), it can be repurposed to create a cozy reading nook by the window. By leaving out a few shelves and adding a cushion, you can build a comfortable seating area within the shelf. Decorate the surrounding shelves with books, plants, or decorative items to complete the look.
- The Malm Window Bench: The Malm series offers elegant storage solutions, and with a little creativity, it can be transformed into a charming window seat. Place two Malm chests of drawers on either side of your window, and bridge them with a sturdy wooden plank or countertop. Add a cushion on top, and you have a stylish and functional window bench with concealed storage.
- The Lack Floating Window Seat: The Lack floating shelves from IKEA can be utilized to create a simple and minimalist window seat. Install two or more Lack shelves at the desired height and secure them to the wall. Add a comfortable cushion and a few throw pillows, and you’ll have a cozy nook that seamlessly blends with your interior decor.
- The Stolmen Window Daybed: For those seeking a more substantial window seat, the Stolmen system offers a unique solution. By assembling Stolmen poles and shelves, you can build a sturdy and spacious window daybed. Cover the platform with a plush mattress and decorative pillows, and you’ll have a luxurious seating area perfect for lounging or even occasional naps.
- The Billy Bookcase Window Bench: The Billy bookcase is a beloved IKEA staple, and it can be transformed into a functional window bench with the addition of a few extra elements. By placing a Billy bookcase horizontally under your window, adding a cushion on top, and incorporating side panels and trim to match your decor, you can create a custom-built window seat that seamlessly blends with your existing shelving units.
- The Hemnes Window Storage Bench: The Hemnes series from IKEA offers a range of furniture pieces that can be adapted to create a charming window seat with built-in storage. By combining a Hemnes bench with the Hemnes shoe cabinet, you can create a multi-functional window seat with hidden compartments for shoes, blankets, or other belongings. Customize the appearance with paint or stain to match your interior style.
With a little imagination and the help of IKEA’s versatile furniture options, you can transform your windows into delightful seating areas. Whether you prefer a cozy reading nook or a functional storage bench, these seven creative IKEA window seat hacks provide a range of possibilities to enhance your living space. Enjoy the view, curl up with a book, and make the most of your windows with these innovative and budget-friendly ideas.